I picked the bike up a couple of weeks ago and took these photos while disassembling it.
Here are a few photos of the SRX600 with its new “European” blue paint and Russian taillight.
The original tuning fork emblems have been reattached to the tank. The “Yamaha” emblems that goes beneath the tuning fork need be restored or replaced. Because new ones cost over $30.00 each, I’m going to try restoring them.
The finish on emblems with the word “YAMAHA” were damaged either before I got the bike. I would have replaced them if new ones weren’t so damn expensive. List price for one of these plastic emblems is $55.00 (or $36.00 mail order).
I decided to try refinishing them and came up with a technique that works pretty well.
The European style taillight inspired me to paint the SRX600 blue like a European model.
Here are a several pictures of blue SRX600’s that I found on the srx600.net website.
My first goal is to get the bike running. I’ve never owned or worked on an old British motorcycle, so I’ll be floundering more than usual.
Purchased a battery, changed the oil, cleaned the carburetor and added fresh gas. With this, I got the bike running poorly.
Next, I tried to set the timing and couldn’t make the procedure described in the shop manual to work. My Ohm meter would not show the points opening and closing. Also, the spark advance didn’t seem to be working the way I expected it to.
I decided there might be multiple problems and rather then spend the summer floundering, I took the bike to Don Hutchinson Cycle, a shop specializing in old Triumphs and BSA’s. After waiting 3 weeks and hearing several excuses about vacations and the like, I picked the bike up and took it to a mechanic friend with lots of experience with British bikes.
I traded for the BSA as part of a complicated swap with an acquaintance in WV. He got two motorcycles and a bicycle. I got the BSA and cash. My friend purchased the BSA at an J. Wood and Company auction in Florida 8 years ago. It was running when purchased, has not been started since.